Monday, November 23, 2009

Music Monday: Songs That Make Me Dance


Last week I was digging through my CD collection looking for something to clean the house to, when I came upon the forgotten CD of one of my favorite dance tunes. Since cleaning requires energy, I need music that energizes me -- which means songs that make me want to move.  When one of my "dancing songs" comes on the radio, it doesn't matter if I'm at home or in my car, you can bet I'm shaking my groove thang.

So that got me thinking about which songs make up the Top 5 Songs That Make Katie Dance, and I came up with a list. I was a bit surprised to discover that the most recent song on my list is from 1989, and the oldest is a full 50 years older at 1939. It's not that there haven't been songs released in the last 20 years that make me wanna dance (Single Ladies, anyone?), it's just that I've heard them so much they've lost their oomph. Additionally, three of the songs on my list have nostalgic memories associated with them -- either from a favorite movie or favorite activity.

I'm sure that as soon as I publish this post, I'll think of another song to add, but that's the problem with making lists. So, without further ado -- and before I change my mind -- here's my as-of-right-now Top 5 Songs That Make Me Dance:

(The song title hyperlinks will take you to YouTube. The other links will take you...other places.)

#5 Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard (1987)
Even though it's become the clichéd anthem of the MTV Spring Break crowd -- and the karaoke bar scene -- every time I hear this song I crank up the volume and start my dirty stripper grind moves. Yeah, yeah. Keep laughing.


#4 Move This by Technotronic (1989)
Way back when I was in high school, my sisters and I attended a dance school. During our freestyling and warm-ups, the instructor would play this song to get us all moving. To this day, whenever I hear this song I've just gotta "shake that body."

#3 Don't Leave Me This Way by Thelma Houston (1976)
I have no idea how this song first came on my radar; I just know that it's my all-time favorite from the disco era. When this song plays, I turn into a singing, dancing fool. Which is rather unfortunate for anyone in the vicinity, as I am pathetically tone-deaf. At least I can dance. I think.

#2 In the Mood by the Glenn Miller Orchestra (1939)
My love affair with this song began with one of the greatest movies of all time: Cannery Row starring Nick Nolte and Debra Winger. Based on two of John Steinbeck's novels, Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday, the film features the romance between marine biologist Doc and prostitute Suzy. One of the best scenes of the film is when Doc and Suzy dance to "In the Mood." As narrator John Huston so aptly describes, "It never occurred to them that maybe they weren't any good."

#1 Twist and Shout by The Beatles (1964)
What is there to say? I think this clip from the iconic Ferris Bueller's Day Off speaks for itself.



So come on, tell me: What songs just make you wanna get up and dance? It's okay, you can admit them.

2 comments:

Lynn Spencer said...

Hmm... Moondance (Van Morrison) will get me out on the floor every time.

And then there are ones like "Son of a Preacher Man" that will make me dance AND sing along (scary).

Katie Mack said...

Oooh, Son of a Preacher Man -- I LOVE that song.